Friday, July 27, 2007

Who says Lucatore is a Boy?

I just realized it might seem strange that I'm so sure Lucatore is a boy. We requested children of either gender for our adoption. Apparently, 75-80% of U.S. adoptive parents request a girl. But the numbers of boys and girls put up for adoption (except in China) are equal. Thus, if you're open to either gender, you get a boy. When I asked my social worker why this was, she answered that no-one knows, and that someone should probably do their master's thesis on that very question...

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Hi Tam,
I was excited to read your blog. I too am adopting from Kazkhstan, however I am doing it on my own. Coincidentally my dossier was completed and is currently being translated. I hope it is completed next week so it will be sent to the embassy. It is exciting to hear that we can travel so quickly. I look forward to reading your blog, who knows maybe we will travel at the same time. You can email me directly if you like at wattie21@cfl.rr.com.

Sandi

Jeannine said...

Tam,
I had to laugh when I read your blog, for 2 reasons-- first, my family has a long tradition of using made up names to identify babies that have yet to be born (my oldest niece was called "Gimley", after a character in the Hobbit series, until the day of her birth).. And I have chosen a name for a girl "Niamh" (pronounced "Neeve") that has people saying "huh?" whenever they see it.. You probably get a lot of that with "Lucatore" as well..
My blog, if you want to check it out, is www.niamhordaniel.blogspot.com
Jeannine